- (historic) Someone who has been freed from slavery in Ancient Rome; a freedman.
- One who is freethinking in religious matters.
- Someone (especially a man) who takes no notice of moral laws, especially concerning their relations with the opposite sex; someone loose in morals, a pleasure-seeker.
- 2007, Choderlos de Laclos, Dangerous Liaisons, tr. Helen Constantine, Penguin 2007, p. 123:
- :So the truth of the matter is that a in love, if indeed a libertine can be in love, becomes from that moment in less of a hurry to enjoy the pleasures of the flesh.
Etymology: From libertinus, from libertus "made free".
- Dissolute, licentious, profligate; loose in morals.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for libertine for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of libertine