- (uncountable) Collectively, items that have been or are about to be ejected from a boat or balloon.
- (countable) The action of jettisoning items.
- To eject from a boat, submarine, aircraft, or hot-air balloon, so as to lighten the load.
Etymology: From getteson, from getaison (French: would be jetaison like pendaison).
- The ballooners had to all of their sand bags to make it over the final hill.
- To let go or get rid of as being useless or defective; discard.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for jettison for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of jettison