- difficult or impossible to comprehend, fathom or interpret
- His theories would years later become the foundation of a whole new science.
Etymology: From the (term, inscrutabilis) from (term, in-, , not) + (term, scrutare, , to examine)
- Robert Persig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:
- : The inscrutability of all this was the kind of inscrutability you have when you suddenly enter a room where a furious argument has just ended. Everyone is quiet. No one is talking.
- 2007, Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan), 30 Rock:
- : She called my license plate ! 'ICU81MI?'? Hilarious!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for inscrutable for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of inscrutable