- a bone of a herring
- 1884: Samuel Smiles, Men of Invention and Industry
- :The prosperity of Amsterdam was then so great that it was said that Amsterdam was "founded on herring-bones."
- a zigzag pattern, especially made by bricks, on a cloth, or by stitches in sewing
- 1861: Charlotte Yonge, The Young Step-Mother
- :'The best path of life is but a herring-bone pattern.'
- 1922: James Joyce, Ulysses
- :Mr Bloom walked behind the eyeless feet, a flatcut suit of tweed.
- (skiing) a method of climbing a hill by pointing the skis outward in a V-shape to keep from sliding backwards
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for herringbone for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of herringbone