Etymology: Old English heorí, from West Germanic
- A brick, stone or cement floor to a fireplace or oven
- An open recess in a wall at the base of a chimney where a fire may be built
- The lowest part of a metallurgical furnace
- A symbol for home or family life
- (context, paganism) A household or group following the modern pagan faith of Heathenry.
- xeríaz, from Germanic
- xer- "burn, fire". Cognate with Dutch haard, German Herd.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hearth for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of hearth