- (transitive) To introduce or insert surreptitiously or without warrant.
Etymology: Probably from obsolete (term, vuisten, , to take into one"s hand), from (term, vuysten), from (term, vuyst, , fist); akin to Old English (term, fyst, , fist).
- 2006 " w:Anthony Daniels (psychiatrist), Theodore Dalrymple, http://www.city-journal.org/html/16_4_urbanities-language.html The Gift of Language
- : attempts to alleged grammatical "correctness" on native speakers of an "incorrect" dialect are nothing but the unacknowledged and oppressive exercise of social control
- (transitive) To force another to accept especially by stealth or deceit.
- (transitive) To pass off as genuine or worthy.
- (rfdate) Jonathan Spivak " costly and valueless products on the public
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for foist for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of foist