- The lowest grade of commissioned officer in the United States Navy, junior to a lieutenant junior grade.
- A flag or banner carried by military units. See standard, color, colour.
- The principal flag or banner flown by a ship to indicate nationality.
- A junior commissioned officer in the 18th and 19th Centuries whose duty was to carry the unit's ensign.
- A prominent flag or banner.
- Ten thousand thousand ensigns high advanced. -Milton, Paradise Lost.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ensign for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of ensign