- (given name, female), diminutive of Dorothy, and later also of Dolores.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Dolly for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Dolly
noun (doll, ies)
- A contrivance, turning on a vertical axis by a handle or winch, and giving a circular motion to the ore to be washed; a stirrer.
- A tool with an indented head for shaping the head of a rivet.
- In pile driving, a block interposed between the head of the pile and the ram of the driver.
- A small truck with a single wide roller used for moving heavy beams, columns, etc., in bridge building.
- A compact, narrow-gauge locomotive used for moving construction trains, switching, etc.
- (context, Filmology) A specialized piece of film equipment that looks like a little car to which a camera is mounted.
- (children, colloquial): A child's name for a doll.
- (cricket) A ball hit by a batsman such that it goes gently to a fielder for a simple catch.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dolly for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dolly