- a spindle, the rod used for spinning and then winding natural fibres, especially wool.
- the part of a spinning wheel from which thread is drawn to be spun
- anything traditionally done by or considered of importance to women only
- women considered as a group
Etymology: From distaf < distíf < dis- cognate with Middle Low German dise "bunch of flax" + stíf "staff".
- of, relating to, or characteristic of women
- referring to the maternal side of a family
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for distaff for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of distaff