verb (disput, ing)
- an argument or disagreement, a failure to agree
Etymology: From desputer (French: French, dispute).
- To contend in argument; to argue against something maintained, upheld, or claimed, by another; to discuss; to reason; to debate; to altercate; to wrangle.
- To make a subject of disputation; to argue pro and con; to discuss.
- To oppose by argument or assertion; to attempt to overthrow; to controvert; to express dissent or opposition to; to call in question; to deny the truth or validity of; as, to dispute assertions or arguments.
- To strive or contend about; to contest.
- To struggle against; to resist.
- Verbal controversy; contest by opposing argument or expression of opposing views or claims; controversial discussion; altercation; debate.
- Contest; struggle; quarrel.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dispute for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dispute