noun (rfc-level, Noun at L4+ not in L3 POS section)
- The act of displace, displacing, or the state of being displaced; a putting out of place.
- "Unnecessary of funds." -A. Hamilton.
- "The of the sun by parallax." -Whewell.
- The quantity of anything, as water, displaced by a floating body, as by a ship, the weight of the displaced liquid being equal to that of the displacing body.
- (chemistry) The process of extracting soluble substances from organic material and the like, whereby a quantity of saturated solvent is displaced, or removed, for another quantity of the solvent.
- (fencing) Moving the target to avoid an attack; dodge, dodging.
- (physics) A vector quantity which denotes distance with a directional component.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for displacement for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of displacement