- A title afforded to a dean.
- A habitational surname from Middle English dene "valley".
- (given name, male) derived from the surname or from the title.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Dean for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Dean
noun (plural deans)
- a senior official in a college or university, who may be in charge of a division or faculty (for example, the dean of science) or have some other advisory or disciplinary function (for example, the dean of students)
- a dignitary or preside, presiding officer in certain church bodies, especially an ecclesiastical dignitary, subordinate to a bishop, in charge of a chapter of canon
- the senior member of some group of people
- dean of the diplomatic corps - a country's most senior ambassador
- dean of the House - the longest-serving member of a legislature
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dean for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dean