- (transitive) To make damp or moist; to make slightly wet.
- (transitive) To depress; to check; to make dull; to lessen.
Etymology: (suffix, damp, en, ss=3)
- 2007 October 16, Jane E. Brody, "Despite Strides, Listeria Needs Vigilance", w:The New York Times, The New York Times,
- : Pregnant women are 20 times as likely as other healthy young women to contract listeriosis, probably because in pregnancy the immune system is dampened to prevent rejection of the fetus.
- (intransitive) To become damp; to deaden.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dampen for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dampen