- Inclined to find fault or criticize; fastidious; captious; censorious; exacting.
- Pertaining to, or indicating, a crisis, turning point, or specially important juncture.
- Of the point (in temperature, reagent concentration etc.) where a nuclear or chemical reaction becomes self-sustaining.
- Extremely important
Etymology: From Ancient Greek (kritikos) "of or for judging, able to discern" < "crisis"
- It's critical that you deliver this on time.
- Relating to literary criticism and related kinds of criticism
- The movie was a critical success, but bombed at the box-office.
- Likely to "runaway" if disturbed, i.e. opposite of stable.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for critical for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of critical