- (music) An instruction to play gradually more loudly, denoted by a long, narrow angle with its apex on the left. Abbreviation: cresc. Symbol <
- (figuratively) A gradual increase of anything, especially to a dramatic climax.
Etymology: Italian crescendo, gerund of crescere, to grow, to increase
- Their fighting rose in a fearsome crescendo.
- (context, figuratively, nonstandard) The climax of a gradual increase.
- Their arguing rose to a fearsome crescendo.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for crescendo for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of crescendo