- a (mechanical) device to perform a certain task
- a means, such as an elaborate plan or strategy, to accomplish a certain objective
Etymology: See etymology of "to contrive".
- 2005, w:Plato, Plato, Sophist. Translation by Lesley Brown. w:Stephanus pagination, 266b.
- : And along with each of these go their images, not the things themselves, " they too have come about by godlike .
- something overly artful or artificial
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for contrivance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of contrivance