- A child or babe; as, a forward chit; also, a young, small, or insignificant person or animal.
- A pert young woman
- The embryo or the growing bud of a plant; a shoot; a sprout.
verb (chits, chitting, chitted) (UK, dialect)
- the chits of Indian corn or of potatoes
- (obsolete) An excrescence on the body, as a wart.
- (intransitive) To sprout; to shoot, as a seed or plant.
- (transitive) To damage the outer layers of a seed such as Lupinus or Sophora to assist germination.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chit for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chit