- A tool consisting of a slim oblong block of metal which is flattened to a sharp edge at one end and attached to a handle at the other end. It is used mainly to remove parts of stone or wood by placing the sharp edge against the material and pounding the handle with a hammer.
- (intransitive) To use a chisel.
- (transitive) To work something with a chisel.
Etymology: From cisel (modern: ciseau), from , from caesellum.
- She chiselled a sculpture out of the block of wood.
- (colloquial) To cheat, to get something by cheating.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chisel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chisel