adjective (chari, er)
- (obsolete) sad, Sad, grievous.
- cautious, Cautious, wary, shy, ungenerous. (rfex, aren"t these multiple definitions?)
Etymology: From cearig, ÄeariÄ.
- (RQ:Shakespeare Hamlet) act 1 scene 3 lines 35-36
- : The chariest maid is prodigal enough
- : If she unmasks her beauty to the moon.
- Shakespeare, Sonnet number 22 lines 11-12
- : Bearing thy heart, which I will keep so
- : As tender nurse her babe from faring ill
- 2007, Stephen R. Donaldson, Fatal Revenant, ISBN 978-0-399-15446-1 Page 182
- : "...When Lord Berek speaks with you and your companions alone, as he must, be in your replies."
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chary for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chary