noun (uncountable and countable; plural chalks)
(wikipedia, chalk (military))
- (uncountable) A soft, white, powdery limestone.
- (countable) A piece of chalk, or, more often, processed compressed chalk, that is used for drawing and for writing on a blackboard.
- Tailor's chalk.
- (uncountable) (climbing) A white powdery substance used to prevent hands slipping from holds when climbing.
- ,(military),(countable) A platoon-sized group of airborne soldiers
Etymology: Old English cealc, borrowed from calxLatin, calx, limestone, borrowed from , pebble.
- To apply chalk to anything, such as the tip of a billiards cue
- To record something, as on a blackboard, using chalk.
- To use powdered chalk to mark the lines on a playing field.
- (figuratively) To record a score or event, as if on a chalkboard.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chalk for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chalk