noun , plural castratos or castrati
- A male who has been castrated, especially a male whose testicles have been removed before puberty in order to retain his soprano or alto voice
- A male soprano or alto voice produced by castration of the singer before puberty
- (literally) castrated; especially castrated prepubescently
- having, using, or containing the voice of a castrato (noun)
- originally composed for a castrato
Etymology: From Italian , castrated, past participle of castrare, castrate.
- Nowadays, either women or countertenors take the castrato roles.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for castrato for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of castrato