Etymology: From cast (obsolete) "to turn"
- A wheeled assembly attached to a larger object at its base to facilitate rolling. A caster usually consists of
- a wheel, which may be plastic, a hard elastomer, or metal
- an axle
- a mounting provision, usually a stem, flange, or plate
- (sometimes) a swivel which allows the caster to rotate for steering
- Many office chairs roll on a set of casters.
- A shaker with a perforated top for sprinkling condiments such as sugar, salt, pepper, etc.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for caster for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of caster