noun (wikipedia, caisson (engineering))
- an enclosure, from which water can be expelled, in order to give access to underwater areas for engineering works etc
- the gate across the entrance to a dry dock
- (nautical) a floating tank that can be submerged, attached to an underwater object and then pumped out to lift the object by buoyancy; a camel
- a two-wheeled, horse-drawn military vehicle used to carry ammunition (and a coffin at funerals); a large box to hold ammunition
- in architecture, a variant of coffer
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for caisson for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of caisson