- A structure or receptacle, typically made of straw, forming the home of bees.
- A similar man-made structure in which bees are kept for their honey.
- (figuratively) Any place full of activity, or in which people are very busy.
- A women's hairstyle, popular in the 1960s, in which long hair is styled into a hive-shaped form on top of the head and usually held in place with lacquer.
- A type of ammunition round containing flechettes, and characterised by the buzzing sound made as they fly through the air.
Etymology: From bee + hive.
- 2005: By the time it was over, Stone had been blown thirty feet through the air by a round as he was running across a field, knocked out by the concussion of the blast. " Martin Torgoff, Can't Find My Way Home (Simon & Schuster 2005, p. 179)
- The Beehive: the New Zealand Government
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for beehive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of beehive