- The water held back by a dam or other obstruction
- a remote place; somewhere that remains unaffected by new events, progresses, ideas, etc.
- It's fun to explore the backwaters of Wiktionary and seeing what messes we find when we get there.
- A rowing stroke in which the oar is pushed forward to stop the boat; see back water
- To row or paddle a backwater stroke.
- To vacillate on a long-held position.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for backwater for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of backwater