- (plural of, annal)
- A relation of events in chronological order, each event being recorded under the year in which it happened. Annals the revolution. --Macaulay. The annals of our religion. --Rogers.
- Historical records; chronicles; history.
Etymology: Latin annalis (sc. liber), and more frequently in the plural annales (sc. libri), chronicles, from annus (year). Compare with annual.
- The short and simple annals of the poor. --Gray.
- It was one of the most critical periods in our annals. --Burke.
- A periodic publication, containing records of discoveries, transactions of societies, etc.; as ``Annals of Science.''
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for annals for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of annals