verb (abjur, ing)
- (transitive) To renounce upon oath; to forswear; to disavow.
- To abjure allegiance to a prince.
- To abjure the realm (to swear to abandon it forever).
- (transitive) To renounce or reject with solemnity; to recant; to abandon forever; to reject; repudiate.
- To abjure errors.
Etymology: From Latin abjurare "to deny upon oath", formed from ab- + jurare "to swear", from jus, juris, "right", "law".
- But this rough magic I here abjure. - Shakespeare, Tempest, V,i
- (intransitive) To renounce on oath.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abjure for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of abjure