a|RP IPA|/ËsÉËvÉªs/, SAMPA|/"s3:vIs/
a|GenAm? IPA|/ËsÉvÉªs/, SAMPA|/"s3`vIs/
i-c|noun From OF. servise (French: #French|service).
i-c|verb from the noun
- economics That which is produced, then traded, bought or sold, then finally consumed and consists of an action or work.
#: Hair care is a service industry.
- computing A function that is provided by one program or machine for another.
#: This machine provides the name service for the LAN.
- The military.
#: I did three years in the service before coming here.
- A set of dishes or utensils.
#: She brought out the silver tea service.
- The act of initially starting, or serving, the ball in play in tennis, volleyball, and other games.
#: The player had four service faults in the set.
- A religious rite or ritual.
#: The funeral service was touching.
- law The serving, or delivery, of a summons or writ.
#: The service happened yesterday.
- (public service) that which is provided by the Government or its agents
#: The Job Centre provides a service to the unemployed.
#religion Doing something for someone else without thought of reward or payment.
Ø© (khÃdma) f
Bulgarian: ÑÐ»ÑÐ¶Ð±Ð° (sluÅ¾ba) f
Chinese: æå¡ (fÃºwÃ¹)
Croatian: eksploatacija f
Dutch: dienst, bediening f
French: service f
Georgian: á¡ááá¡áá®á£á á (samsakhuri)
German: Dienst m, Aufwartung f
ÏÎ·ÏÎµÏÎ¯Î± (ipiresÃa) f
Italian: servizio m
Japanese: åã (ã¤ã¨ã, tsutome), ãµã¼ãã¹ (ãã¼ã³ã, sÄbisu)
Korean: ë¶ì¬ (bongsa), ìë¹ì¤ (seobiseu)
Norwegian (BokmÃ¥l): tjeneste
Norwegian (Nynorsk): teneste
Polish: usÅugiwanie n
Portuguese: serviÃ§o m
Russian: ÑÐ»ÑÐ¶Ð±Ð° (slÃºÅ¾ba) f
Serbian: ÐµÐºÑÐ¿Ð»Ð¾Ð°ÑÐ°ÑÐ¸ÑÐ° (eksploatacija) f
Spanish: servicio m
Telugu: à°¸à±à°µ (saeva)
Thai: Thai|à¸à¸²à¸£à¸à¸£à¸´à¸à¸²à¸£ (gaan borrÃgaan)
Uyghur: armiye tÃ¼ri
Vietnamese: cÃ¢y thanh lÆ°Æ¡ng trÃ
Arabic: ARchar|ØµÙØ§ÙØ© IPAchar|(ÊiyÄna) f
Chinese: ä¿é¤, ä¿å
French: entretien m
German: Instandhaltung f
Italian: manutenzione f
¥ã (ã¦ãã, teire)
Korean: ë³´ì¡´ (bojon)
Portuguese: manutencÃ£o f
Russian: Ð¾Ð±ÑÐ»ÑÐ¶Ð¸Ð²Ð°Ð½Ð¸Ðµ (obsluÅ¾ivanije) n
Spanish: mantenimiento m
- to serve
#: They service the customer base.
- to perform maintenance
#: He is going to service the car.
Portuguese: servir (1)
From L. servitium, from servus.