- intransitive To say something in return; to answer; to reply.
- intransitive To act in return; to exhibit some action or effect in return to a force or stimulus; to do something in response; to accord.
- intransitive To correspond; to suit.
- transitive To satisfy; to answer.
#: The prisoner was held to respond the judgment of the court.
- A response.
- A versicle or short anthem chanted at intervals during the reading of a lection.
- architecture A half-pillar, pilaster, or any corresponding device engaged in a wall to receive the impost of an arch.