:* Rhymes: Rhymes:English:-Êk|-Êk
Image:Blue_lifting_hook.jpg|thumb|A hook on a construction crane
Image:Kickboxing_right_hook_landing.jpg|thumb|A right hook (kickboxing)
- A rod bent into a curved shape, typically with one end free and the other end secured to a rope or other attachment.
- A fishhook, a barbed metal hook used for fishing.
- A loop shaped like a hook under certain written letters, e.g. g and j.
- A catchy musical phrase which forms the basis of a popular song.
#: The song's hook snared me.
- A short punchy opening sentence intended to draw the reader or viewer into a book or play.
#* "Last night I dreamed I went to Manderlay again." 1939 Rebecca Daphne Du Maurier.
- cricket A type of shot played by swinging the bat in a horizontal arc, hitting the ball high in the air to the leg side, often played to balls which bounce around head height.
- baseball A curveball.
#: He threw a hook in the dirt.
- software Features, definitions, or codings that enable future enhancements to happen compatibly or more easily.
#: ''We've added "user-defined" codepoints in several places and careful definitions of what to do with unknown message types as hooks in the standard to enable implementations to be both backward and forward compatible to future versions of the standard.
- golf A golf shot that (for the right-handed player) curves unintentionally to the left. See draw, slice, fade
- boxing A type of punch delivered with the arm rigid and partially bent and the fist travelling nearly horizontally mesially along an arc.
#: The heavyweight delivered a few powerful hooks that staggered his opponent.
- slang A jack (the playing card)
trans-top|rod bent into a curved shape
Bulgarian: ÐºÑÐºÐ° (kÃºka) f
Catalan: garfi m
Czech: hÃ¡k m, hÃ¡Äek m (little hook)
Danish: krog c, knage c, hage c
French: crochet m, agrafe f (as in "hook and eye"), hameÃ§on m (for fishing)
German: Haken m
Interlingua: croc, uncino (as in "wall hook", "hook and eye" etc.), hamo (for fishing)
Italian: gancio m, gancetto m (as in "hook and eye"), amo m (for fishing)
Korean: ê°ê³ ë¦¬ (galgori)
Persian: ÙÙØ§Ø¨Ø ÚÙÚ¯ÙØ Ø¬Ø§ ÙØ¨Ø§Ø³Ù(qollÃ¢b,changak, jÃ¢ lebÃ¢si)
Portuguese: gancho m
Romanian: cÃ¢rlig n
Russian: ÐºÑÑÐº (kr'uk) m, ÐºÑÑÑÐ¾Ðº (kr'uÄÃ³k) m
Spanish: gancho m
Czech: hÃ¡Äek m
Danish: krog c
Finnish: ongenkoukku, koukku
Korean: ëì (nakksi)
Persian: ÙÙØ§Ø¨ Ù
Portuguese: anzol m
Russian: ÐºÑÑÑÐ¾Ðº (kr'uÄÃ³k) m
trans-top|loop shaped like a hook under certain letters
Portuguese: volta f
Russian: ÐºÑÑÑÐ¾Ðº (kr'uÄÃ³k) m, Ñ
Ð²Ð¾ÑÑÐ¸Ðº (ÏvÃ³stik) m
trans-top|catchy musical phrase
trans-top|short opening sentence
trans-top|type of cricket shot
ÑÐº (Ïuk) m
trans-top|golf shot that curves unintentionally
trans-top|type of boxing punch
Portuguese: ganhco m
ÑÐº (Ïuk) m
Translations to be checked
ttbc|Albanian: grep m
ttbc|Basque: amu, kako
ttbc|Catalan: ganxo m
ttbc|Croatian: kuka f
ttbc|Esperanto: hoko, krampo
ttbc|Hungarian: horog, kampÃ³
ttbc|Latin: hamus m
ttbc|Sardinian: ganciu m, amu m
ttbc|Telugu: à°à±à°à±à°à±à° (kokkeM)
ttbc|Tok Pisin: huk
ttbc|Turkish: kanca n
Weisenberg, Michael (2000) The Official Dictionary of Poker. MGI/Mike Caro University. ISBN 978-1880069523
- transitive To attach a hook to.
#: Hook the bag here, and the conveyor will carry it away.
- transitiveTo catch with a hook (hook a fish).
#: He hooked a snake accidentally, and was so scared he dropped his rod into the water.
- transitiveTo connect (hook into, hook together).
#: If you hook your network cable into the jack, you'll be on the network.
- hook up: To meet.
#: You guys go ahead to the fair, and we'll hook up with you later.
- hook up: slang To have sexual intercourse with.
#: She got wasted at the party and ended up hooking up with her ex.
- (Usually in passive) To make addicted (I'm hooked).
#: He had gotten hooked on cigarettes in his youth.
- context|Cricket To play a hook shot.
- context|ice hockey|hockey To engage in the illegal maneuver of hooking (i.e., using the hockey stick to trip or block another player)
#: The opposing team's forward hooked me, but the referee didn't see it, so no penalty.
- context|intransitive|slang To engage in prostitution.
#: I had a cheap flat in the bad part of town, and I could watch the working girls hooking from my bedroom window.
trans-top|To attach a hook to sthg
Finnish: kiinnittÃ¤Ã¤ koukku
Persian: Ú¯ÙØ± Ø¯Ø§Ø¯Ù ÙÙØ§Ø¨Ø Ø¢ÙÙØ²Ø§Ù ÙØ±Ø¯Ù (gir dÃ¢daneh qollÃ¢b, Ã¢vizÃ¢n kardan)
trans-top|To catch with a hook
Danish: fÃ¥ pÃ¥ krogen, fÃ¥ til at bide pÃ¥
Dutch: aan de haak slaan
Finnish: saada koukku|koukkuun
Interlingua: prender al hamo
Italian: prendere all'amo
Korean: ëë¤ (nakkda)
Persian: Ø¨Ù ÙÙØ§Ø¨ Ø§ÙØ¯Ø§Ø®ØªÙ(beh qollÃ¢b andÃ¢khtan)
Tok Pisin: hukim
Dutch: in elkaar haken
Persian: Ø¨Ù ÙÙØ§Ø¨ ÙØµÙ ÙØ±Ø¯Ù(beh qollÃ¢b vasl kardan)
Dutch: ontmoeten, treffen
Finnish: etsiÃ¤ kÃ¤si|kÃ¤siinsÃ¤
trans-top|To make addicted
Finnish: tehdÃ¤ riippuvainen|riippuvaiseksi
trans-top|An ice hockey term
Translations to be checked
w:hook|Wikipedia article on hook
hook, line and sinker
Category:1000 English basic words