rfc-level|check placement of Pronunciation
(Received Pronunciation|UK) IPA|/ËÉldÉ/, SAMPA|/"[email protected]/
(General American|US) IPA|/ËÉldÉ/, SAMPA|/"[email protected]`/
- comparative|Comparative of old; greater than another in age or seniority.
#* The elder of the two was also an elder-statesman
Japanese: JAchar|å¹´ä¸ã® (toshiue no); JAchar|å¹´é·ã® (nenchÅ no)
Spanish: antiguo, anciano
- An older person or an older member, usually a leader, of some community.
#:We were presented to the village elder.
- An officer of a church, sometimes having teaching responsibilities
- Mormon The lowest office in the Melchizedek priesthood.
#: After being a member of the Church for a while, Bill was ordained to the office of elder.
- Mormonism One ordained to the office of elder.
#: Jack had been an elder for only a few days when he received a new calling.
- Mormonism Male missionary, title for a male missionary; title for a general authority.
#: The elders are coming over for dinner tonight.
#: One of the long-time leaders in the Church is Elder Packer.
- A small tree of the genus Sambucus having white flowers in a cluster, and purple berries.
- context|paganism A priest or priestess in the modern pagan tradition known as Asatru or Heathenry.
trans-top|older member or leader of a community
Korean: ì´ë¥¸ (eoreun)
Portuguese: anciÃ£o m, anciÃ£ f
Russian ÑÑÐ°ÑÐµÐ¹ÑÐ¸Ð½Ð° (star'Ã©jÅ¡ina) m, ÑÑÐ°ÑÐ¾ÑÑÐ° (stÃ¡rosta) m
Slovene: stareÅ¡ina m, starosta m
Thai: à¸à¸¹à¹à¸à¸²à¸§à¸¸à¹à¸ª (phoo-a-wu-so), à¸à¸¹à¹à¸ªà¸¹à¸à¸à¸²à¸¢à¸¸ (phoo-soong-a-yoo)
trans-top|Melchizedek priesthood office, missionary, title
Russian ÑÑÐ°ÑÐµÐ¹ÑÐ¸Ð½Ð° (star'Ã©jÅ¡ina) m
Japanese é·èï¼ã¡ãããã, chÅrÅï¼
French: sureau m
German: Holunder m
Italian: sambuco m
Latin: sambucus m
Russian: Ð±ÑÐ·Ð¸Ð½Ð° (buzinÃ¡) f
Slovene: bezeg m
Spanish: sauco m
ttbc|Albanian: shtog m
ttbc|Romanian: soc m