- A violent onset or attack with physical means, as blows, weapons, etc.; an onslaught; the rush or charge of an attacking force; onset; as, to make assault upon a man, a house, or a town.
- A violent onset or attack with moral weapons, as words, arguments, appeals, and the like; as, to make an assault on the prerogative|prerogatives of a prince, or on the constitution of a government.
- An apparently violent attempt, or willful offer with force or violence, to do hurt to another; an attempt or offer to beat another, accompanied by a degree of violence, but without touching his person, as by lifting the fist, or a cane, in a threatening manner, or by striking at him, and missing him. If the blow aimed takes effect, it is a battery.
- An intentional threat, show of force or movement that causes a reasonable fear, or an actual physical contact.
- fencing A non-competitive combat between two fencers
French: assaut m
Japanese: çªæ(ã¨ã¤ãã, totsugeki)
Persian: ÛÙØ±Ø´Ø ØªØ¬Ø§ÙØ²
Polish: radziÄ, doradzaÄ
Spanish: asalto m
Swedish: angrepp n, attack c (1, 2, 3), hot n (4)
- To attack, threaten or harass
assault and battery