From OF. avancer (French: avancer), from LL. abante, from ab + ante âbeforeâ. The spelling with d was a mistake, a- being supposed to be from Latin ad. avaunt|Avaunt is an earlier form of the same source-word.
IPA: WEAE [Ã¦dËvÃ¦nts] or [Éd-], US [Éd.vÃ¦n(t)s], UK [Éd.vÉn(t)s]
- To bring forward; to move towards the van or front; to make to go on.
#: They . . . advanced their eyelids. âShakespeare
- To raise to a higher rank; to promote.
- To accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward; to help on; to aid; to heighten.
#: to advance the ripening of fruit
#: to advance one's interests
- To bring to view or notice; to offer or propose; to show.
#: to advance an argument
- To make earlier, as an event or date; to hasten.
- To furnish, as money or other value, before it becomes due, or in aid of an enterprise; to supply beforehand.
#: Merchants often advance money on a contract or on goods consigned to them.
- To raise to a higher point; to enhance; to raise in rate.
#: to advance the price of goods
- intransitive To move forwards, to approach.
trans-top|to bring forward; to move towards the van or front; to make to go on
Finnish: siirtÃ¤Ã¤ eteenpÃ¤in
trans-top|to raise to a higher rank; to promote
Finnish: ylentÃ¤Ã¤, antaa ylennys
trans-top|to accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward
Finnish: t-|fi|edistÃ¤Ã¤, t-|fi|kiihdyttÃ¤Ã¤
trans-top|to bring to view or notice; to offer or propose
Polish: zaproponowaÄ, zaoferowaÄ
trans-top|to make earlier, as an event or date; to hasten
trans-top|to furnish, as money or other value, before it becomes due
Finnish: antaa/maksaa ennakko|ennakkoa
trans-top|to raise to a higher point; to enhance; to raise in rate
trans-top|to move forwards, to approach
Albanian: avancoj, pÃ«rparoj
Finnish: t+|fi|edetÃ¤, t+|fi|lÃ¤hestyÃ¤
Japanese: é²ã (susumu)
Old English: t-|ang|wadan|xs=Old English
ttbc|Albanian: avancoj, pÃ«rparoj
ttbc|Hebrew: ×§××× (qidem)
To raise; elevate; exalt; aggrandize; improve; heighten; accelerate; allege; adduce; assign.
- A forward move.
- An amount of money or credit, especially given as a loan, or paid before it is due.
- in plural An opening approach or overture, especially of an unwelcome or sexual nature.
Albanian: avancim, pÃ«rparim
French: t-|fr|avancÃ©e|f, t+|fr|progression|f
Hebrew: ××ª×§××××ª (hitqadmut) f
trans-top|amount of money
Croatian: t+|hr|akontacija|f, t-|hr|predujam|m
Finnish: t+|fi|ennakko, t-|fi|ennakkomaksu
Finnish: lÃ¤hestyminen, iskuyritys
- completed|Completed before need or a milestone event.
#: He made an advance payment on the prior shipment to show good faith.
#: The advance man came a month before the candidate.
#: The scouts found a site for an advance base.