- (intransitive) To be superior in strength, dominance, influence or frequency; to have or gain the advantage over others; to have the upper hand; to outnumber others.
Translations: Etymology: From prívalere.
- Red colour prevails in the Canadian flag.
- (intransitive) To be current, widespread or predominant; to have currency or prevalence.
- In his day and age, such practices prevailed all over Europe.
- (intransitive) To succeed in persuade, persuading or induce, inducing.
- I prevailed on him to wait.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prevail for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.