noun (countable and uncountable; plural: pressures)
- (physics) The amount of force that is applied over a given area divided by the size of this area.
- SI: pascal (Pa) (1 pascal equals 1 newton per square metre)
- Others: bar (1 bar equals 100000 pascals), barye (Ba) (1 barye equals 0.1 pascal), pounds per square inch (psi, lbf/in2, lb/in2), torr, mmHg, atmosphere (atm)
- mental strain caused by one's own or others' expectations on one's own performance
She has been under lately because her boss expects her to get the job done two weeks early.
- Synonyms - under the pump, under the gun
- Dutch: druk
- French: pression
- German: Druck (1, 2)
- Italian: pressione (1, 2)
- Spanish: presión (1,2)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pressure for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.