- A mark or token by which a thing may be known; a visible sign; a character; a distinctive mark or feature; a characteristic quality.
- A mark, or sign, made to call attention, to point out something to notice, or the like; a sign, or token, proving or giving evidence.
- A brief remark; a marginal comment or explanation; hence, an annotation on a text or author; a comment; a critical, explanatory, or illustrative observation.
- A brief piece of writing intended to assist the memory; a memorandum; a minute.
- A short informal letter; a billet.
- A diplomatic missive or written communication.
- A written or printed paper acknowledging a debt, and promising payment; as, a promissory note; a note of hand; a negotiable note.
- A piece of paper money; a banknote.
(music) A character, variously formed, to indicate the length of a tone, and variously placed upon the staff to indicate its pitch.
(music) A musical sound; a tone; an utterance; a tune.
(music) A key of the piano or organ.
- Observation; notice; heed.
Reputation; distinction; as, a poet of note.
verb (notes, noting, noted)
- Dutch: aantekening
- French, note
- German: Notiz
- Italian: nota
- Spanish: nota
(transitive) To notice with care; to observe; to remark; to heed
(transitive) To record in writing; to make a memorandum of.
(transitive) To denote; to designate
(transitive) To annotate
(transitive) To set down in musical characters.
(trans-top, To set down in musical characters)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for note for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.