- A figure carved in relief or incised, especially representing a sound, word, or idea.
- A single formed character or symbol, usually representing a letter in a font; a graphic representation of a character.
- Any non-verbal symbol that imparts information.
- (architecture) A vertical groove.
Etymology: First attested in 1727. From glyphe < Ancient Greek (polytonic, ) (gluphÄ) "carving" < (polytonic, ) (gluphÅ) "I carve, engrave"
- French: glyphe (Å�il typographique)
- German: Glyphe
(trans-bottom) (trans-top, non-verbal symbol imparting information)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for glyph for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact