noun (s, pl2=ghettoes)
The Jews of Venice were confined to theghèto, in what is now the Arsenale district
- The district in a city where Jews were compelled to confine themselves.
Bedford-Stuyvesant and Brownsville are often cited as African-American ghettos.
An economically depressed urban district predominently inhabited by members of one ethnic or religious group.
South New Orleans is often thought of as a Black Ghetto.
The Castro district of San Francisco is a gay ghetto.
- A district where members of one ethnic, religious, or cultural group are congregated, usually voluntarily.
Beverley Hills is the ghetto of the glitterati.
- Dutch: ghetto
- German: Getto , Ghetto
- Italian: ghetto
- of or related to a ghetto or to ghettos in general
(slang) (informal) of low quality; cheap; shabby
Etymology: From Italian (Venetian dialect), ''ghèto "foundry".
- My apartment's so ghetto, the rats and cockroaches filed a complaint with the city!
- I like to drive ghetto cars, if they break down you can just abandon them and pick up a new one!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ghetto for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.