- A tree or shrub that does not shed its leaves or needles seasonally.
(colloquial) More specifically, a conifer tree (e.g. pine, fir, cedar.)
1858: Henry David Thorea, The Maine Woods http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/ot2www-pubeng?specfile=/texts/english/modeng/publicsearch/modengpub.o2w&act=text&offset=618074587&textreg=1&query=+evergreen&id=ThoMain
- :The spruce and fir trees crowded to the track on each side to welcome us, the arbor- vitae, with its changing leaves, prompted us to make haste, and the sight of the canoe-birch gave us spirits to do so. Sometimes an just fallen lay across the track with its rich burden of cones, looking, still, fuller of life than our trees in the most favorable positions.
1958: Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode
- :Deep down in Louisiana, close to New Orleans,
:Way back up in the woods among the evergreens,
- :There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood
:Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
(colloquial) A television news story that can be shown at any time there is available space as it is not time-sensitive.
(patents, pharmaceuticals) To extend the term of a patent beyond the normal legal limit, usually through repeated small modifications.
(banking) To set the repayment rate of a loan at or below the interest rate, so low that the principal will never be repaid.
- Of plants, especially trees, that do not shed their leaves seasonally.
Etymology: ever + green
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for evergreen for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.