- A person or thing of equal status to others.
- We're all equals here.
- This beer has no .
verb (equals, equalling, equalled)
- Dutch: gelijke
- German: Gleichgestellter , Gleichgestellte
(mathematics) To be equal to, to have the same value as.
- Two plus two equals four.
(informal) To have as its consequence.
- Losing this deal equals losing your job.
- Dutch: betekenen
- French: égaler í
- German: gleichen
- Italian: eguagliare
- Spanish: igualar
(notcomparable) The same in all respects.
- Equal conditions should produce results.
(context, mathematics, notcomparable) Exactly identical, having the same value.
- All right angles are .
(comparable) Unvarying, fair.
- The treatment of students in this school is very .
(comparable) adequate, Adequate; sufficiently capable or qualified.
- This test is pretty tough, but I think I'm to it.
Etymology: (term, aequalis)
- Dutch: gelijk, gelijke
- German: gleich
- Italian: uguale, pari
- Spanish: capaz
- French: égal , égale
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for equal for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.