- An area distinguished on the basis of a particular characteristic, use, restriction, etc.
There is a no-smoking that extends 25 feet outside of each entrance.
The white is for loading and unloading only.
(baseball) Short for the strike zone.
That pitch was low and away, just outside of the .
- A high performance phase or period, especially in sports.
I just got in a late in the game, everything was going in.
( context, networking ) That collection of a domain's DNS resource records, the domain and it's subdomain, subdomains, that are not delegate, delegated to another authority.
(context, Apple computing) A logical group of network devices on AppleTalk?.
(religion) A belt worn by priests in the Greek Orthodox church.
verb (zones, zoning, zoned)
- : In putting on the or belt, worn by both bishops and priests, he says: "Blessed is God, Who girded me with power, and hath made my path blameless..." (Ps. 47:32-33). The denotes the priest's readiness to serve the Lord and is also a sign that he is bound to Christ.
- Divide into or assign sections or areas.
Please off our staging area, a section for each group.
- To define the property use classification of an area.
This area was zoned for industrial use.
I must haved zoned while he was giving us the directions.
- To temporarily enter a daydream state, for instance as a result of boredom, fatigue, or intoxication.
( context, basketball, soccer) A defense in which each player covers an area of the court.
- Outside shooting is essential to beating a zone defense.