verb (echo, es)
- A reflected sound that is heard again by its initial observer.
- (computing): The displaying on the command line of the command that has just been executed.
- The letter E in the ICAO spelling alphabet.
- To repeat back what another has just said.
- (alternative spelling of, aegis)
- A mythical, supernatural being resembling but seen as distinct from humans.
- (Norse mythology) A luminous spirit presiding over nature and fertility and dwelling in the world of ílfheim (Elfland). Compare angel, nymph, fairy.
- (fantasy) Any of the magical, humanoid, typically forest-guarding races bearing some similarities to the Norse í¡lfar (through Tolkien's Eldar).
- (Classical mythology) the home of the blessed after death.
- A place or state of ideal happiness; paradise.
- A region in the northern hemisphere of Mars.
- blissful; euphoric
- of or pertaining to Elysium.
- (Greek mythology) The Muse of lyric poetry, particularly of love and eroticism.
proper noun (pl.Erinyses)
- (Greek mythology) The female personifications of vengeance, particularly wrong or immoral deeds on behalf of the victims.
- (Greek mythology) The goddess of discord, confusion, and strife, keeper of the golden Apple of Discord which she threw into the wedding of Peleus and Thetis starting the Trojan War; daughter of Nyx, sister and constant companion of Ares, mother of Lethe.
- (astronomy) The largest known dwarf planet in the solar system, (initially dubbed the "tenth planet",) previously known as 136199 Eris, with one natural satellite, Dysnomia.
- in German mythology, a giant who preys on children
1962: This line, and indeed the whole passage (lines 653-664), allude to the well-known poem by Goethe about the , hoary enchanter of the elf-haunted alderwood, who falls in love with the delicate little boy of a belated traveler. " Vladimir Nabokov, Pale Fire
- w:Earth Resources Observation Satellite, Earth Resources Observation Satellite.
- (greek mythology) A Phoenician princess abducted to Crete by Zeus.
- A moon of Jupiter.
- A continent north of Africa, west of Asia and east of the Atlantic Ocean. It contains many countries, including (in alphabetical order):
- A political entity; the European Union.
- (Greek mythology) The Muse of music and lyric poetry, specifically of flute playing, joy and pleasure.
Allwords Copyright 1998-2013 All rights reserved.
More To Explore