- A Middle Indo-Aryan language (Devanagari à¤ªà¤¾à¤´à¤¿) of north India, closely related to Sanskrit; the sacred language of the Buddhist scriptures. It has no native script, so it may be written in various
alphabets, including Devanagari, Burmese, and Roman.
- The Prakrit language of the Buddha.
- A pace; a step, as in a dance.
- (legal) in contrast, on the contrary
- Gorbachev's reforms in the Soviet Union in the 1980s.
2004: w: Chris Wallace (journalist), Chris Wallace, Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- :Gorbachev would introduce glasnost (openness and freedom) and (economic restructuring) to Russia under his tenure, ultimately freeing thousands of political prisoners and dissidents and trying to address the shortages in food and goods that had become the hallmarks of the failing Soviet economy.
- (Latin America) A doll or other decorated container filled with candy, that gets hit with a hammer or a stick by blindfolded children during birthday parties or other celebrations until the candy falls out.
- such a person
- apathetic, indifferent or nonchalant
- One who affects some behaviour, style, attitude or other condition, often to impress or influence others.
He pretends draping things in miles of cloth is art, and that he"s an artist, but it"s always the same gimmick with different details, and he"s just a .
- She only dresses like that because she thinks she is getting the boys' attention; she doesn"t even like the clothes. She"s such a .
- (alternative spelling of, précis)
- made with great precision
- precisely; exactly
- just; by a narrow margin
verb (premier, es)
- The first showing of a film, play or other form of entertainment, often held as a special event with celebrity guests.
- (intransitive) Of a film or play, to play for the first time.
The new film premieres this weekend.
- (transitive) To present a film or play for the first time.
- The local theatre will its latest play this week.
- A garissoned place, especially one that is or was, at one time, under Spanish control.
adverb prima facies, facie
- apparently correct; not needing proof unless evidence to the contrary is shown
- at first sight; on the face of it
adverb (pos=pro rata, -)
- (context, of an allocation) In proportion to some factor that can be exactly calculated.
Tenants who have given 30 days' notice who do not leave on the last day of the month will be credited on a basis.
- The workers' overtime is calculated on basis.
noun or protegé
- A person guided and protected by a more prominent person.
- His status as a protege of the great artist had many benefits, but was ultimately a burden.
noun or protégée
- A female protege.
- temporarily; for the time being