adjective (WikiSaurus?-link, active)
- A person or thing that is acting or capable of acting.
- Having the power or quality of acting; causing change; communicating action or motion; acting; — opposed to passive, that receives; as, certain active principles; the powers of the mind.
- Quick in physical movement; of an agile and vigorous body; nimble; as, an active child or animal.
- In action; actually proceeding; working; in force; — opposed to quiescent, dormant, or extinct.
an active volcano
- Given to action; constantly engaged in action; energetic; diligent; busy; — opposed to dull, sluggish, indolent, or inert; as, an active man of business; active mind; active zeal.
- Requiring or implying action or exertion; — opposed to sedentary or to tranquil; as, active employment or service; active scenes.
- Given to action rather than contemplation; practical; operative; — opposed to speculative or theoretical; as, an active rather than a speculative statesman.
- Brisk; lively; as, an active demand for corn.
- Implying or producing rapid action.
an active disease
an active remedy
- Applied to a form of the verb; — opposed to passive. See active voice.
- Applied to verbs which assert that the subject acts upon or affects something else; transitive.
- Applied to all verbs that express action as distinct from mere existence or state.
- (italbrac, gay sexual slang)
- (italbrac, of a homosexual man) enjoying a role in anal sex in which he penetrates, rather than being penetrated by his partner
- such a role in anal sex
- (obsolete) The smallest mediaeval unit of time, equal to fifteen ninety-fourths of a second.
- (historical) A theoretical particle of matter, imagined to be incapable of further division; the smallest possible unit of substance.
- (physics) The smallest possible amount of matter which still retains its identity as a chemical element, now known to consist of a nucleus surrounded by electrons.
- (mathematics) A non-zero member of a wikipedia:Boolean algebra, Boolean algebra that is not a union of any other elements.
- The smallest, indivisible constituent part or unit of something.