All Words Glossary
- (anatomy) The two outer rounded folds of adipose tissue that lie on either side of the opening of the vagina.
- (anatomy) The two inner folds of skin within the cleft of the labia majora.
- Of or relating to tears, or the tear glands.
- (anatomy) The smallest and most fragile bone of the face situated near the eye.
- Relating to milk.
- (Anatomy)Relating to milk production.
- .. ducts in the breasts...
noun (plural lacunae or lacunas)
- A small opening; a small pit or depression; a small blank space; a gap or vacancy; a hiatus.
- An absent part, especially in a book or other piece of writing, often referring to an ancient manuscript or similar.
- The loose part of a coat; the lower part of a garment that plays loosely; a skirt; an apron.
- An edge; a border; a hem, as of cloth.
- The part of the clothing that lies on the knees or thighs when one sits down; that part of the person thus covered; figuratively, a place of rearing and fostering; as, to be reared in the lap of luxury.
- The upper legs of a seated person.
verb (lap, p, ed)
The boy was sitting on his mother's
- (italbrac, archaic (17th century)), (euphemistic) The female pudenda.
- (transitive) To place or lay (something) so as to overlap another.
One laps roof tiles so that water can run off.
- (transitive) To polish, e.g., a surface, until smooth.
- (intransitive) To lie partly on or over something; to overlap.
- (transitive) To overtake a straggler in a race by completing one more lap than them.
- (anatomy) The colon.
- a laryngeal sound, especially a reconstructed phoneme thought to have existed in Proto-Indo-European
- Of or pertaining to a larynx or larynges.
noun (plural larynges (technical), larynxes (informal))
- An organ of the neck of mammals involved in breath control, protection of the trachea and sound production, housing the vocal cords, and that is situated at the point where the upper tract splits into the trachea and the oesophagus/esophagus.
- The thong or braided cord of a whip, with which the blow is given.
verb (lash, es)
I observed that your whip wanted a lash to it. — Addison.
- (obsolete) A leash in which an animal is caught or held; hence, a snare.
- A stroke with a whip, or anything pliant and tough.
The culprit received thirty-nine lashes.
- A stroke of satire or sarcasm; an expression or retort that cuts or gives pain; a cut.
The moral is a lash at the vanity of arrogating that to ourselves which succeeds well. — L"Estrange
- A hair growing from the edge of the eyelid; an eyelash.
- In carpet weaving, a group of strings for lifting simultaneously certain yarns, to form the figure.
(Mid-Ulster, Northern Ireland dialect) Excellent, wonderful
- We"re off school tomorrow, it"s gonna be lash!
- That chinese (food) was lash!''
- (transitive) To strike with a lash; to whip or scourge with a lash, or with something like one.
We lash the pupil, and defraud the ward. — Dryden
- (transitive) To strike forcibly and quickly, as with a lash; to beat, or beat upon, with a motion like that of a lash.
the whale lashes the sea with its tail.
And big waves lash the frighted shores. — Dryden
- (transitive) To throw out with a jerk or quickly.
He falls, and lashing up his heels, his rider throws. — Dryden
- (transitive) To scold; to berate; to satirize; to censure with severity.
to lash vice
- (transitive) To bind with a rope, cord, thong, or chain, so as to fasten.
to lash something to a spar
lash a pack on a horse's back
- (intransitive) To ply the whip; to strike.
- (intransitive) To utter censure or sarcastic language.
To laugh at follies, or to lash at vice. — Dryden
- (obsolete) remiss, Remiss, lax.
- (obsolete) relaxed, Relaxed.
- soft, Soft, watery, wet.
1658: Fruits being unwholesome and before the fourth or fifth Yeare. " Sir Thomas Browne, The Garden of Cyrus (Folio Society 2007, p. 211)
verb (leg, g, ing)
- (anatomy) The limb of a human or animal that extends from the groin to the ankle.
- A part of garment, such as a pair of trousers/pants, that covers a leg.
- A stage of a journey.
- (context, nautical) A distance that a sailing vessel does without changing the sails from one side to the other.
- (nautical) One side of a multiple-sided (often a triangle) course in a sailing race.
- A single game or match played in a tournament or other sporting contest.
- one of the two sides of a right triangle that is not the hypotenuse
- To put a series of three or more options strikes into the stock market.
- To remove the legs from an animal carcass.
- To build legs onto a platform or stage for support.
noun (plural lenses)
- An object, usually made of glass, that focuses or defocuses the light that passes through it.
- A device which focuses or defocuses electron beams.
- (geometry) A shape comprising two circular arcs, joined at their endpoints.
- (biology) A genus of the legume family.
- (anatomy) The transparent crystalline structure in the eye.
- Having fine, slender toes or fingers.
noun (wikipedia, lien, lien (law))
- (obsolete) A tendon.
- A legal claim; a charge upon real or personal property for the satisfaction of some debt or duty.
<!--same as previous definition:
- (countable) Either of the two fleshy protrusions around the opening of the mouth.
- (countable) A part of the body that resembles a lip, such as the edge of a wound or the labia.
- (countable) The rim of an open container.
- an edge that projects slightly, such as the rim of the lid for a pot or jar.-->
- (context, slang, uncountable) impertinence, Impertinence.
- Don"t give me any !
- (anatomy) A large organ in the body that stores and metabolizes nutrients, destroys toxins and produces bile. Responsible for thousands of biochemical reactions.
- This livestock organ used as food.
- (color) A dark brown colour, tinted with red and gray, like that of liver.
- <table><tr><td>liver colour: </td><td bgcolor="
adjective (the noun as a modifier)<br>
- 674C47" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
(no (compar) or (superl) forms)
- Concerning or relating to the liver.
- Intended for the liver.
- Of food, made of liver.
- liver pí¢té
- Of or pertaining to a lobe; characterized by, or like, a lobe or lobes.
- The quality of having lobes
- The growth, or formation of lobes
- A lobe, or something shaped like a lobe
- Any projection or division, especially one of a somewhat rounded form.
- (anatomy) A division of the brain.
- A small lobe; a subdivision of a lobe.
- Related to the lower back or loin.
noun (pl=lumens, pl2=lumina)
- (physics) In the International System of Units, the derived unit of luminous flux; the amount of light that falls on a unit area at unit distance from a source of one candela. Symbol: lm
- (anatomy) The cavity or channel within a tube or tubular organ.
- (botany) The cavity bounded by a plant cell wall.
- The bore of a tube such as a hollow needle or catheter.
- (archaeology) A small stone artifact, probably an arrowhead, with a blunt straight edge and a sharpened, crescent-shaped back, especially characteristic of the Mesolithic Period.
- Shaped like a crescent.
- A biological organ that extracts oxygen from the air.
- (anatomy) A vessel that transports lymph.
- (anatomy) Pertaining to lymph or the lymphatic system.
- Lacking energy of enthusiasm.
- (context, anatomy, immunology) Small oval bodies of the lymphatic system, distributed along the lymphatic vessels, that are clustered in the armpits, groin, neck, chest and abdomen. They act as filters, with an internal honeycomb of connective tissue filled with lymphocytes and macrophages that collect and destroy bacteria, viruses and foreign matter from lymph. When the body is
fighting an infection, these lymphocytes multiply rapidly and produce a characteristic swelling of the lymph nodes.
- (context, cytology, immunology) A type of white blood cell or leukocyte that occurs in two forms; B-lymphocytes, which produce antibody, antibodies in the humoral immune response, and T-lymphocytes, which participates in the cell-mediated immune response.
- (anatomy) Like or relating to the lymphatic system of the body.
Browse the Dictionary
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Allwords Copyright 1998-2013 All rights reserved.
More To Explore