Note: The application of this word to persons is now unusual or obsolete.
- The act of abolish, abolishing, or the state of being abolished; an annul, annulling; abrogation; utter destruction; as, the abolition of slavery or the slave trade; the abolition of laws, decrees, ordinances, customs, taxes, debts, etc.
- (often capitalised), (in British territories) The ending of the slave trade (1807) or of slavery (1833).
- (often capitalised), (in the US) the emancipation of slaves, by the Emancipation Proclamation (1863, ratified 1865).
- The principles or measures of abolitionists. - Wilberforce
proper noun the
- An infamous fort in San Antonio, Texas, USA.
A renewed sense of national pride arose in Hitler's Germany.
- Of the time period prior to a war.
Slavery was an accepted part of plantation life.
- In the United States of America, of the period prior to the American civil war, Civil War, especially in reference to the culture of the southern states.
proper noun (wikipedia, Argonauts)
- (Greek Mythology) One of the members of the Argo who sailed with Jason in search of the Golden Fleece.
- Any of several ships and submarines of the British and US navies.
- Team name for the Toronto, Ontario franchise of the Canadian Football League (CFL)
Allwords Copyright 1998-2013 All rights reserved.
More To Explore